I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell Tech. My research interests lie at the intersection of computer architecture, systems, machine learning and environmental sustainability The central theme to my research is co-designing solutions across the computing stack (applications, algorithms, systems and architecture, circuits and devices) to design and implement computer systems and hardware in new ways to improve the performance, efficiency, and environmental sustainability of emerging applications.
Through research, I am driven to realizing practical impact, building interdisciplinary research communities, and pathfinding. I led the characterization of industry scale neural personalized recommendation models, outlining paths for future AI hardware design and academic research into specialized systems for AI. Based on the key insights we built open-source systems' benchmarks and tools that have been standardized as part of the community efforts such as MLPerf Using these benchmarks I developed specialized hardware/software systems by co-designing solutions across the computing stack to enable high performance, efficient, and scalable AI at-scale; these solutions have evaluated in real-world industry scenarios saving significant AI cycle and infrastructure resources. Going beyond performance and efficiency, my research also demonstrates the critical need to incorproate environmental sustainability as a first-order design principle in systems design, development, and deployment. My research identifies fundamental bottlenecks towards enabling environmentally sustainability computing, opening new research opportunities across the computing stack from applications to algorithms and from systems and hardware to circuits and devices.
Honors/Awards: My work has been featured in venues such as Bloomberg Green, The Guardian, and CNBC. My work has been awarded an IEEE MICRO Top Picks (2022 and 2023) and IEEE MICRO Top Picks Honorable Mention (2021), as well as receieved Best Paper Nominations at the Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT 2019) and Design Automation Conference (DAC 2018). My dissertation received the SIGARCH Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Honorable Mention in 2023. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science at Harvard University and BSc in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Cornell University.
Prospective students: I am actively looking for motivated, ambitious, and passionate graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and undergraduate. If you are interested in working with me please read the following page.
My current research interests include:
- Specializing hardware and systems for AI at-scale for high performance and efficiency.
- Co-designing neural networks and specialized hardware for energy efficient mobile AI.
- Designing systems specialized for personalized recommendation engines.
- Designing software and hardware to enable environmentally sustainable computing.
- Sept. 2023Received gift from Google towards investigating Understanding and Mitigating the Environmental Footprint of AI At Scale
- Sept. 2023Received our first NSF grant to develop, Cloud Infrastructures for Designing Sustainable Electronics!
- Aug. 2023Leo Han, Zhanqiu (Summer) Hu, and Michael Shen join the lab as first year PhD students!
- Aug. 2023Hosted the inaugural ML and Systems Rising Stars workshop, sponored by MLCommons and Google
- Jul. 2023Started new role as an Assistant Professor at Cornell Tech!
- Jun. 2023Received the SIGARCH/TCCA Outstanding Dissertation Award Honorable mention
- Mar. 2023Launched the new ML and Systems Rising Stars program!
- Feb. 2023Co-organized the NSF NetZero Carbon workshop at HPCA 2023.
- Jan. 2023ACT: Architectural Carbon Modeling Tools is accepted as IEEE MICRO Top Picks 2023!
- Jan. 2023Our paper, MP-Rec: HW/SW Co-Design to Enable Multi-Path Recommendation, accepted to ASPLOS 2023!
- Dec. 2022Served as a panelist at NSF Sustainable Computing Workshop.
- Nov. 2022Gave lecture at MIT on Sustainable Computing.
- Oct. 2022Gave a talk on Sustainable Computing at IEEE Chapter on Society on Social Implications of Technology
- Oct. 2022Carbon Explorer was accepted to ASPLOS 2023!
- Oct. 2022Presented DeepRecSys at the EmergingBench workshop at MICRO 2022
- Oct. 2022Hosted ACT tutorial at MICRO 2022
- Sep. 2022I will be at Meta as a Visiting Researcher for 1 year until I start at Cornell Tech!
- Aug. 2022Officially graduated with a PhD from Harvard University!
- June 2022Presented ACT, our Architectural Carbon Modeling Tool, at ISCA 2022. [PDF] [Slides] [Github]
- June 2022Successfully hosted student activites at MLSys 2022 as the Young Professional Activities Chair
- May 2022Accepted position to become an Assistant Professor at Cornell Tech starting summer 2023!!